Thursday, March 22, 2012

Church Refreshments...




Recently, I went to a church program event where refreshments were served. The refreshments included a wonderful array of foods. There were crackers, tuna salad, deli meats, rolls, a variety of cheeses, fruit kabobs, strawberries, carrots, cucumbers, and other veggies, and then a plethora of desserts including cakes, cookies, and chocolate candies. There was also some sort of pretty punch available. Since I had already eaten, I only ate a couple of fruit kabobs, strawberries, and some carrots, along with a bottled water (I take one bottled water with me wherever I go). As you may be able to surmise from my description of the refreshments, it was not all bad food. As a matter of fact, there were several healthy options available. My problem came when I saw how the people were filling their plates. I saw plates overflowing with food....food that could last them two or three meals. I could estimate close to 600-1000 calories on some of their plates. I couldn’t understand why one person would need to have 3 cookies, a piece of cake, and several chocolate candies on their plate. I didn’t understand why a person would need to have several pieces of deli meat (not the kind you buy in small packages, but the kind you get thickly sliced straight from the deli), along with a couple of rolls, in addition to a plate full of other foods. Now, I could take this from a spiritual point of view and take a look at the sin of gluttony that “church people” so often overlook, however, I won’t take that route upon today. A better way to look at this, especially since I am not one to stand in judgment of another (I try not to be), is, “why would a person feel like they have to put so much food on their plate?” Here are my top 5 reasons as to why many may put so much food on their plates when they are at an event (especially a church event):

1.       The food is free. Whenever we hear the word free, or know that something is free, we often take advantage of that. But one thing I have learned when it comes to food, though the food may be free, you also will get free extra calories on your body that you may not need. When it is free, only get what you need.

2.       The person is hungry. Now this is a viable reason to eat. When you are hungry, you seek to satisfy your hunger. But it is definitely not a viable reason to overeat. Eat enough to satisfy the hunger.

3.       It is socially acceptable. Everybody else is doing it, so why not me? If everybody else jumped off a cliff would you jump too? YOU BE THE LEADER INSTEAD OF LETTING OTHERS MAKE YOU A FOLLOWER.

4.       The food looks so good! I will admit, when I looked at the beautiful array of food that was presented, I was tempted to get a little bit of everything too. That is the temptation of food. Especially if it is free, we feel like we will miss out if we don’t try a little bit of everything. But a little bit of everything turns into a big amount of food.

5.       You had a small breakfast and lunch just so you decided you would “eat good” at this event. This is not a bad idea. Granted, one meal full of sugar (as might be the case in this meal) may spike your blood sugar up, however, cutting back on other meals so that you can eat more food at dinner is not a horrible idea. But you still need to make sure you don’t overeat.



Now there may be other reasons people put a lot of food on their plates when they are at an event.  There may truly be people who eat a lot because they know they are not going to eat another meal for a while. These are not the people I am talking to in this blog. This blog is mainly for those of us that have a problem with social eating. The main principles you should receive from this post is that when you are at a social event, be wise with your eating. Just because it is free and looks good and everyone else is eating a lot does not mean you have to. If anything, be the example. Show others that you can eat a balanced meal that satisfies your hunger, even when you are at an event that serves good food. Now this is not a “deprivation mentality.” I want you to enjoy food. I believe you should eat some things you like and enjoy them. I just believe everything (concerning food) should be done in moderation. I hope this post has been helpful. Until next time…



-Jenelle N. Robinson

1 comment:

  1. Lol... This is so true. I see this happen often. I have been guilty of it in the past. Until people start taking their health seriously, this will continue to happen. One of the big reason I wanted to start eating healthier was my desire to be healthy enough to spread the gospel. Stay fit & Go Win!

    ReplyDelete