Did you know that your wellness is strategically tied to your ability to fulfill your God-given purpose? Many people might live physically healthy lives, but feel the void of not meeting their potential in other areas of their life. These areas include the mental, emotional, social, and spiritual. Wellness involves all these areas...not just the physical. So today's post is about purpose.
Many people have an idea of their purpose, but do not live it out. Others make excuses. For the longest, I knew my purpose, but was just plain lazy about doing the work. Here are at least 7 reasons why we don't move into our purpose, along with biblical insight on how to overcome these obstacles...
1. We are scared of the feeling that comes if we fail within the pursuit.
Overcome: You only start failing when your faith starts failing. Luke 22:32 says: “But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail…” Don’t stop believing you have purpose. Don’t stop believing you will accomplish what God has shown you. You were created to fulfill a need.
2. We are intimidated by the responsibility that comes should we succeed.
Overcome: You don’t have to be intimidated by the responsibility; for if you just continue to be obedient to Him, you will understand that He has already equipped you with what you need to handle the responsibility. II Timothy 3:16-17 says: “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” The “equipment” is in the Word.
3. We are plain lazy and dread doing the work to go after what we know we are called to do.
Overcome: Either you will work for people and things, or things and people will work for you. Proverbs 12:24 says: “The hand of the diligent will rule, but the lazy man will be put to forced labor.” Does your purpose include you being managed by people and things for the rest of your life; or does it include YOU managing people and things?
4. No one expects us to do it, so we live according to their expectation.
Overcome: Fulfilling your purpose depends on the power that is in YOU, not someone else's expectation of you. Ephesians 3:20 says: “Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works IN US…” Expect more of what is already inside of you.
5. We believe we will have to sacrifice something that we are not willing to sacrifice at this point in our lives.
Overcome: You cannot receive the reward of YOUR sacrifice, if you are still holding on to WHAT YOU WILL HAVE TO sacrifice. II Corinthians 9:10 says: “Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness.” A seed can’t produce until it is sown. We are not just talking about money here. In life, we often have to let go of something in order to obtain something better. It is not a risk, it is a certainty.
6. We are (say it real spiritual-like) “waiting on God.” (Who is waiting on you.)
Overcome: In all honesty, I can’t say that God is really, “waiting on you” in the term most preachers use it in. God moves and progresses with or without you. He has already done what He is going to do. So when I say He is “waiting on you,” it means there is a place for you that He formed for you to especially fit in. Find it and get in it. Jeremiah 1:5 says: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." Purpose-->Position-->Person
7. Pure ignorance: We don’t know what we are supposed to be doing.Overcome: Figure out what you are passionate about and make a difference. Genesis 1:28 says: “Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply…” Take on tasks that match your passion and set goals that aim for demonstrable results. But you have to first find out: what am I passionate about doing?
I hope this is helpful. If you are interested in life and wellness coaching to help you move into your purpose by setting goals and having accountability, check out "Wellness Coaching" on my website: drjenellenicole.com.
Until Next Time...
-Dr. Jenelle Nicole