Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Black beans...


Last week, Heady (www.helloheady.com) sent me a message asking about black beans. So I decided I would blog about black beans. I have always hated beans (legumes). When I was young, my parents used to make us eat our beans. They would always tell us, “when you get older, you are going to like to eat beans.” I am older, and I still do not like beans. What I can do, is TOLERATE beans. I tolerate them in my chili and in salsa.
Beans in general are usually great sources of fiber and protein. Studies have found lowered colon cancer risk with beans (black beans), better blood pressure management, and decreased coronary heart disease risk.
The beans that I usually can tolerate in my salsa are black beans. As well as having the noted health benefits, black beans are about 114-117 calories (1/2 cup), have 8-9 grams of fiber, 1-2 grams of fat, and 6-7 grams of protein. But watch out for the canned black beans. Though they boast these benefits, many are high in sodium, with 1 can giving a person over 1200 mg of sodium (only should have 2400 mg/day). So if using canned black beans, make sure to wash them off in order to lower the sodium content (the fresh/dried black beans have less than 1 mg of sodium).
Since I love tortilla chips and salsa (and also cheese dip J), I thought I would give you a great recipe for a salsa with black beans:
1 can of black beans (wash off the beans)
1 can of corn
2 cans of diced tomatoes
½ diced red onion
1/3 cup of cilantro
lime juice (2 limes squeezed)
(and mini tortilla chips for dipping!!!)

That’s all I have for today! Until next time…
References:

Bazzano, L. A., Jiang, H., Ogden, L. G., Loria, C., Vupputuri, S., Myers, L., & Whelton, P. K. (2001). Legume Consumption and Risk of Coronary Heart Disease in US Men and Women. Archives Of Internal Medicine, 161(21), 2573.
Black bean. Retrieved November 8, 2011 from http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-legumes-beans-black-beans-boiled_f-ZmlkPTEzMDYwNg.html.
Consumption of black beans and navy beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) reduced azoxymethane-induced colon cancer in rats. Retrieved November 8, 2011 from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12672642.

Lee, Y., Puddey, I., & Hodgson, J. (2008). Protein, Fibre and Blood Pressure: Potential Benefit of Legumes. Clinical & Experimental Pharmacology & Physiology, 35(4), 473-476.

2 comments:

  1. sad face. lol... i eat the black beans out of the can. i did notice the sodium but kept on moving. thanks for the information.

    go win,

    heady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to like black beans and really appreciate the health benefits as well. Thanks for providing this valuable information to "us."

    Blessings and favor!

    ReplyDelete