Thursday, December 22, 2011

The best Christmas Gifts...for weight loss...


Christmas is Sunday. And just like Thanksgiving, Christmas day and surrounding days are heavy eating days. I like to call them “glutton days.” But this blog is not about eating. Nor is it about being a glutton. This blog is about giving. Yes, giving. This blog is about giving to a person who has told you over and over again that they want to lose weight but need help. I come across these people all the time. It seems they just need a jump start. And many will need it as they start 2012 off with a resolution of losing weight. So what better way to help them than to give them a Christmas gift that says, “I am helping you lose weight.” It would only be an insult if this person did not want to lose weight. But if you are like me, then you welcome anything anybody gives you to help you live a healthier life. So here are my 8 TOP WEIGHT LOSS GIFTS TO GIVE FOR CHRISTMAS:
1.       Resistance Band. I love using the resistance band…especially in my strength training regimen. When I was hit by a car while riding a bike, I could no longer run (see running blog). So I had to find other things to do to stay physically active. I found a pilates DVD that used the resistance band. This band changed my life. It strengthened my core like no other exercise has. If used correctly, this band will change a person’s life. It is a wonderful gift. Many are available with DVDS or instructions with different exercises to do for different parts of the body.
2.       Any exercise DVD by Jillian Michaels. This woman will work the heck out of you. I have tried 2 of her dvds (30 day shred, and Maximize Back in Action). She specializes in interval training. She incorporates cardio along with weight lifting to burn more calories and speed up your metabolism. This is a great starter for anyone wanting to lose weight. You feel like you have a personal trainer in your house. This is a great gift.
3.       Waist Band. These things are great. Though many say they only help you lose water weight, I will take all the weight loss I can get…when I need it…even if it is just water. I often would wear a waist band while walking or running, though it can get really hot and feel like it’s cutting your circulation off during running. So I suggest it be used more when walking. It will make you sweat out this world…this is a great gift for women who want to get rid of that stomach…it is definitely a gift that helps to shred the inches…
4.       Gym membership. Some people will never workout at home. They must leave the house in order to get any physical activity or exercise. Being at home makes them lazy when it comes to exercising. For these people, a gym membership is the perfect gift. What gym you choose will depend on the person and what physical activities they enjoy. Some like exercise classes, water aerobics, and an inside track with a basketball court. These will cost a little more. But for those who can just use the weights and cardio machines, you may find places for as cheap as $10 a month. I go to 10 Fitness, which is exactly that price. They have everything I need; and they offer Zumba classes at an additional charge of just $5 a class.
5.       Weight Watchers Membership. Weight Watchers has received great accolades as a weight loss program. I have found their nutritional part of the program to be sound and they offer much needed social support through weekly meetings. This program will help anyone jumpstart weight loss. The “point system” is a great alternative to counting calories, carbs, or fat.
6.       A digital scale. If a person wants to lose weight, they need a good scale to weigh themselves on a weekly basis. I suggest a digital scale because it may be more accurate, in addition, it gives weight with a decimal point. I will always take a 0.3 weight loss rather than a plain old 0.
7.       Healthy Cookbook. If the person you are giving the gift to cooks a lot, give them a healthy cookbook with some great options. There are many good cookbooks that offer modifications as well as healthy recipes where there is less fat, sugar and calories. Though you may not have diabetes, I still believe the diabetic cookbook could be useful for all people attempting weight loss (http://diabeticgourmetcookbook.com/). Shop around for other cookbooks as there are many out there.
8.       Lastly, the greatest gift you may give someone may be pants, a shirt, or a dress 1-2 SIZES TOO SMALL. Whenever I have received gifts of this sort, it was inspiration to lose weight to get those clothes on! Matter of fact, I often buy clothes that may be a size too small in order to motivate me to lose weight to get into it (I have had one suit that I have been trying to get into for a year with no success; I am determined that I will get into it by fall 2012).

Some of these gifts may be insults if the people you give them to are not weight conscious, or are not trying to lose weight. So please make sure these are appropriate for whom you are buying them. Nonetheless, they are all great Christmas gifts and may give a person more than the satisfaction of getting a gift from you, but also the satisfaction of weight loss. Have a Merry Christmas! Jesus is the reason for EVERY SEASON!!!

-Jenelle Robinson
(P.S. I am accepting any and all weight loss gifts from blog readers…lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment