Friday, December 2, 2011

Running...for exercise...


I have ran in 5 half marathons in my lifetime…one every year since 2005 (except 2009; I was in an accident where I got hit by a car while riding a bike and could not run for several months). I got into running in 2004, where I met a running group who ran 3 days a week. At the time, the most amount of miles I had ran was about 2. I had always thought that was pretty good. But this running group that I was introduced to averaged running 3-4 miles during the week (at each run), and about 6 miles on Sundays. That was a challenge for me. At least I thought it was. I remember running with them during the week, and for the first time, I was able to run about 3-4 miles each time. Then, I remember going with them to run one Sunday evening. And to my surprise, I was able to run 6 miles straight without stopping. It was amazing to me. It is amazing what you can do when you are doing it with the support of others. What was even more amazing was the way weight dropped off of me.
Running is the only exercise that I have ever done that has consistently made me lose weight. I have tried a variety of exercises including step aerobics, cardio-kickboxing/taebo, weight lifting, P90X, and Insanity. These were all fun and entertaining, and very challenging to my body. But it seemed that the only exercise that has always helped me to drop weight fast is running. Now I will say that participating in those other exercise activities definitely helped me run faster and have more endurance. But running has always been key for me.
On that note, I strongly advise you to make a goal of running in a half marathon. Maybe that is too strong of a goal for some of you, so try a 5K first. But those who believe they can train for a half marathon, start training. Lest you be intimidated, let me make this clear: I have never actually “RAN” the whole half marathon. There are many times where I have stopped and walked anywhere from one minute to 10 minutes several times throughout the race. The last race I was in, I ran 9.5 miles straight, and stopped for about 5 minutes, and then continued running the rest of the way. I had the fastest time I have ever had…2 hours and 18 minutes. In actuality, compared to many other runners, that seems to be pretty slow (10 minutes and 30 seconds a mile). But it was a challenge that I overcame, so I believe that counts for me.
If you say, I am just a walker, great! That is a start. What I would advise you to do is incorporate short bouts of sprints or jogs into your walking routine. For instance, if you are walking 1 hour a day, I would advise you to run 1 minute every 5-6 minutes of your walk. That way, you will get in at least 10 minutes of running. This will help get you started on the path to running on a consistent basis. It will become easier and easier. However, if you just want to walk and do the short bouts, that is fine. There are many people who do that the whole half marathon. Matter of fact, there are many who walk the whole MARATHON (26 miles). (FYI-I have no interest in running or walking a whole marathon. I am dog tired by the end of the half marathon, and don’t understand how people can keep running after 13.1 miles).
So what should you expect during the race? You should expect it to go by fast. Seriously. There are so many people walking and running, you will see the mile markers fast. You should also expect good music and entertainment as many groups will be located on your route. You should also expect family and friends (if they come), and people who you don’t know to be cheering you on.
So what should you expect after completing a half marathon? Maybe money if you are fast enough in your age division. But you may not want to bet on that as people travel from other countries to run in these races and win money (mostly for the whole marathon). So again, what should you expect after completing a half marathon? You should expect a pretty medal and some food. Other than that, your body will feel like jello. Your knees will be sore. Your body will feel shook up. You will more than likely me soaking wet (depending on the season). Later on, you probably will be sitting on the toilet for a while. Nonetheless, I am willing to experience all of this in exchange for the feeling I feel after crossing that finish line. It is an adrenaline rush! It feels so good! It feels like you have accomplished the supernatural! (lol). I wouldn’t trade that feeling for much of anything. I’m telling you, everybody should have the experience of feeling this at least once in their lifetime. It feels so good…
If this has motivated you to start training for a half marathon, 5K, or even a marathon, I have some resources below that may be of help to you. I hope this has been beneficial for you. Until next time…
Use this site to create your own running route within your neighborhood or surrounding areas.

This site contains a training guide for those who want to start training for a race.

Find races in your geographical area…

This site contains a list of races all over the United States.

-Jenelle Robinson

1 comment:

  1. I love running. I'm mad because this week I didn't manage my time well so I will only be able to run one day. smh. Love running. I, too, have found it to be the best way to drop weight or manage your current weight.

    ReplyDelete