Friday, February 3, 2012

Diabetes...


When I was a teenager, my dad informed my mom, brother, and I that he had been diagnosed with diabetes. At the time, I didn’t know anything about diabetes. Since I could not see any physical symptoms of the disease, I actually mocked my father, and did not take the disease seriously. It was not until I got older that I started to realize the seriousness of this disease.
Diabetes affects over 20 million Americans. It is a disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin. Insulin is needed to change food into energy needed for everyday life. There are 2 major types of diabetes.  These types include type 1 and type 2 diabetes. With type 1 diabetes, the body fails to produce insulin, and people have to take insulin in order to survive. Having type 1 diabetes increases your risk of getting heart disease, becoming blind, having nerve damage, and kidney damage. Type 1 diabetes is more rare than type 2 diabetes, as it often stems from a family history.
In type 2 diabetes, the body begins to resist insulin, or is not using it properly. Type 2 diabetes has an increased risk based on family history, being within a minority group (i.e. African American, Hispanic, Native American), and being obese. With over 50% of the American population being overweight, and many in the obesity category, type 2 diabetes has become of more concern. Some symptoms associated with type 2 diabetes include fatigue, itching skin, frequent urination, and increased thirst. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, I would advise you to see a doctor to get your glucose level checked. Like type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes also increases your risk of getting heart disease, becoming blind, having nerve damage, and kidney damage.
I have been told that I am genetically predisposed to getting type 2 diabetes because of my strong family history of it. I have no interest in getting it, so I have committed to doing my part when it comes to eating healthy and exercising. Eating healthy and exercising are things that must be done after getting diabetes (in order to manage it), so why not do them in order to prevent diabetes? Many may suggest certain diets and regimens to prevent diabetes, however, I have no specific tips of preventing diabetes as many commit to eating healthy and exercising, but still get diabetes. However, I will say that I do believe  you can decrease your risk of getting diabetes when you decrease the fat and sugar in your diet, and increase the fruits, vegetables, and low-fat options. Also if you are overweight, lose weight in order to lower your chances of obtaining diabetes. That’s all I have for today. Until next time…

-Jenelle Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment