Friday, February 17, 2012

Let's DRINK...to our Health...



I am not a big fan of water. Yes, I know all of its benefits, and I know I need it, but I have never really been able to drink a lot of it, unless I was exercising. Though we tend to focus a lot on whole foods, the LIQUIDS we drink can be just as important to our body as the whole foods we consume. Liquids are also easier for most of us to digest. Liquid drinks can also be very helpful in weight loss efforts as the trend for shakes and smoothies has become increasingly popular. Here are 7 drinks that may provide some type of health benefit, and may help in your weight loss efforts:
1.     Tea. Most any tea will do, though many have mentioned the “increased metabolism” effects of green tea. For me, a cup of tea at night before bedtime has a calming effect and lessens my hunger pangs if I am still hungry.
2.     Smoothies-HOMEMADE smoothies are usually high in nutrients and low in calories (100-200 calories or so per serving). Try BLENDING a cup of frozen fruit (I like strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries), a banana, 2 cups of orange juice, and half a cup of vanilla yogurt. If you like it a little sweet, add a teaspoon of sugar. This should give you 2-4 servings of a smoothie that can be frozen for later consumption, or shared with others.
3.     Milk (low-fat)-Milk does do a body good, especially when it is low in fat. Milk is a great protein source and has even been proven  to be a preferred fuel for some athletes (chocolate milk instead of Gatorade).
4.     Protein shake- Most protein shakes are high in protein, but several are also good sources of fiber. These shakes can usually be used to supplement a breakfast meal at 200-300 calories.
5.     Prune juice- Prune juice may help with constipation. Some may have not gone to the bathroom for weeks due to the problem of constipation. This is not good for your system and also causes you to carry additional weight.
6.     Cranberry juice (pure with no added sugars)-Cranberry juice contains polyphenol properties that may protect against diseases of the heart and immune system. It may also help in the prevention and treatment of urinary tract infections.
7.     Water-Though I am not a big fan of it, I can’t deny its benefits. It has zero calories. It is a natural cleanser of the body and helps to flush out the system. It helps prevent fatigue and dehydration. It also may help you feel fuller longer when consumed with meals.

I hope this was helpful! I didn’t mention any alcoholic beverages, but there are many noted health benefits of wine. Maybe I will talk about that in another post…Until next time…

-Jenelle Robinson

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff!!!!! I so try to train myself to drink water. Like the info.

    ReplyDelete