Thursday, July 30, 2015

My Library of Exercise DVDs



I have a rather small library of exercise dvds…11 dvds plus how every many are in the Insanity set. The workouts on these dvds range from taebo, to circuit training, to pilates, to even a short dance video (no I am not a dancer…at all). Would you like to know which one is my favorite? Jillian Michael’s (JM) Killer Buns and Thighs. I am confident that if done consistently, it will indeed lead to killer buns and thighs. So that leads me to my issue. Consistency. Yes, I always exercise 5-6 days a week, but for a while, it seemed, I got bored far too quickly with my routine and would change it up. In reality, that is not a big issue….as long as the targeted muscles are getting worked out consistently every week. But I can’t expect to get toned buns and thighs doing JM’s dvd once a week, and not doing any other strength building or toning exercises for legs and the buttocks. Even my consistent steady-state running (training for half marathons) does little in strength building, but more in the area of cardio. Cardio is great…for the heart. But it does little in helping to build muscle in the right areas. (Sprinting is another story…but how many of you sprint?)

So for the past month or so, I have tried to be pretty consistent in my strength training. I have been doing two a days. Most mornings I do some type of high intensity interval training for 20 minutes, or I work the abs and/or legs. In the evenings, I do full body weight lifting three days a week, and the other three days of the week, I do some type of cardio for 60-80 minutes (mostly running…and the elliptical, stairclimber, and row machine). I always rest one day a week. Your body needs that time to rebuild. Currently, my goal is to develop a more muscular build. Subsequently, I have increased my protein intake (which is needed to help build that muscle if you are consistently lifting) and have decreased the running a bit to see greater results from the weight lifting. I believe I’m seeing dramatic results (also because of my clean eating)! I am attempting to get my body fat percentage down by 9 points. It has already went down by 2% and I have lost 11 pounds, though my goal is more so to decrease body fat, not just pounds. But even the small results I am seeing took time. It’s all about your goals.  If your goal is not to develop muscle then your training and dietary regimen might take a different path. If your goal is not to ever run in a race (5K, half marathon, marathon) then long stretches of cardio will not be your focus. If you are simply looking to just be healthy, then the minimum of 30 minutes of exercise a day, 5 days a week, with a couple of those days including strength training may be your exercise goal. The point is, figure out what your fitness goal is and be consistent in it. Consistency is not found in a day, or even a month. It is found over the course of time. Give yourself at least 3 months of consistency in your exercise endeavors. You will reap greater rewards from it when you are consistent in it. Until Next Time…


-Jenelle N. Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment